Pages

Monday 16 July 2012

Kim Heng Roasted Meat 金兴香港烧

Tucked in a hidden little corner of a neighbourhood Kopitiam, Kim Heng serves out perhaps one of the best roast meats around. ST proclaims this stall to be the "Best All Rounder" in roast meats and I am inclined to agree. I visited the stall one weekday afternoon at around 2pm and there were no queues in sight. I ordered a plate of mixed meat rice- a portion of roasted duck, roasted pork, char siew and rice enough for one person for just $5.50. Within minutes, my order was quickly served.


The roasted duck meat was not at all tough or dry but was tender and succulent. The meat was well flavoured and the duck skin retained a little crispiness. I was very impressed by the roasted pork especially its crunchy skin. The roasted pork skin layer had been roasted to a nice crispy perfection- a quality that is so elusive in many other roasted meat joints.  There was definitely a satisfying crunch with every bite! The pork meat indeed had a lingering salty taste from its seasoning but the meat itself was not dry. The char siew was also really good- it was incredibly well marinated and juicy. The sides of each char siew slice were slightly charred which gave the char siew a nice subtle smokey taste.

I had the meats without any additional chili sauce or condiments and I really feel the meats taste so good on their own that adding any condiments might mar their taste. This probably just shows how good, well marinated and flavourful the roast meats are!

If I had to pick a bad point, I just wished they could be more generous with the cucumber slices. Other than that I was really highly satisfied with my plate of roast meat rice!

Kim Heng Roasted Meat, Blk 214, #01-88 Serangoon Ave 4, Serangoon, Singapore 550214. It's located opposite the Serangoon Swimming Complex/Serangoon Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment